This was long over-due in making. I am SO happy it turned out so great. Instantly a new favourite. I have been wanting to make this for so long, and finally broke down and made it the other day. I do not have an ice cream maker, so I did this using a different method, but it turned out perfectly! Oh my gosh…heaven. My boyfriend and I are (but really, who isn’t?!) HUGE fans of pistachio anything – ice cream, frozen yogurt, gelato, pistachio butter, or even just pistachios on their own. They are just so good. This ice cream is not your traditional ice cream though! It’s healthy. Yup, ice cream can be healthy too. It is raw, vegan, and sugar-free! It tastes every bite as creamy and flavourful as any other pistachio frozen dessert you have tried and I will definitely, DEFINITELY be making it again. It even has spinach in it, both for the green colour and to add in some iron!
1 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, soaked and skins removed
2 frozen bananas
1 can coconut milk (full fat)
1 cup coconut almond milk
1/4 raw almond butter
2/3 cup organic blue agave syrup
1/4 cup spinach
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1. Remove pistachios from their shells. Place de-shelled pistachios in a bowl with warm water. Soak for about 1 minutes. Take small handfuls in your hands, and rinse under warm water to remove any leftover skins.
2. Process the pistachios in a food processor with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and water. Process until a paste forms.
3. In a blender, combine coconut milk, almond milk, almond butter, spinach, agave syrup and vanilla extract and blend until fully combined.
4. Add pistachio paste into blender, and blend until entire mixture is well blended (approx. 10 seconds).
5. Line a loaf pyrex or pan with parchment paper. Pour blended mixture into loaf pan.
6. Add any toppings you wish to include. I just used goji berries.
7. Place in freezer for 4 hours, or until mixture is solid.
8. Serve immediately. If too frozen, leave out until ice cream softens and then serve.