Waffles, enough said. Waffles should be crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They should also have a slight sweet taste and of course, have a hint of vanilla. Those make for the best waffles, in my opinion. These waffles do just that, and then some…cause….they have tangerine too! Mmm hmmm…you heard that right.
I actually got up earlier the other day to make these for myself cause it was my birthday. So worth getting up early for, and definitely worth the clean-up. Can’t wait to make them again on our weekend off! Weekend off + sleep-in + waffles in the morning? What could be better…
- Yields 3 rectangular waffles – maybe more or less depending on the size of your waffle maker.
- Ps, you will need a waffle maker for this. I’m sure you could make them into pancakes if you don’t have one though, and I’m sure they would be just as good.
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp. magic baking powder (that’s the brand, or the name of it at least)
2 tbsp. sugar
pinch of sea salt
1 1/4 cup water
2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
drop or two (or three!) of pure tangerine essential oil (or other oil or extract if you have it) I used a drop.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a medium sized mixing bowl (whole wheat pastry flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar). Whisk together until well combined.
- Create a “pool” in the middle of the bowl, and then add the wet ingredients (water, vanilla extract, coconut oil, tangerine oil).
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together with a whisk. Whisk well until mixture is smooth and has no clumps. While you’re doing this, plug in your waffle maker and allow it to heat up.
- Once your waffle maker is heated up, pour enough of the mixture into the waffle maker. Close the lid and allow it to cook until it’s golden and crispy on the outside.
- * Note: Since there is no egg in this, it will take double, maybe even triple the amount of time for the waffles to become crispy. Once the green light went off on my waffle maker to indicate that the waffle was finished, I closed the lid and allowed it to cook a few more times. It took about 7-10 minutes or so total. You’ll be able to judge by the golden colour as well as feel how crispy the outside is.
- Top with whatever you want. Suggestion for a winning combo: desiccated coconut, maple syrup, ripe banana coins, frozen raspberries, peanut butter chips dark chocolate chips. Soooo good!