There’s nothing like a warm bowl of chili on a cold winter’s day. It’s always awesome too, when you know you’ll have leftovers which often taste even better the next day (win!). This chili will provide you with a hefty serving of protein and fibre – so you’ll stay full for longer and it’ll warm ya right up!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total cook time: 1 hour
1 cup green lentils
1/2 cup red lentils
1/2 cup quinoa
1/4 cup frozen corn
1 litre crushed tomatoes (we used our home preserves…wish we could share….<3)
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup red onion
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
900ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. paprika
chili powder + hot chili powder (to taste – in terms of how spicy you want it)
black pepper (to taste)
green onions (garnish)
2 slices vegan cheddar (earth island), cut into small pieces
1/2 cup dry roasted cashews
a few splashes of unsweetened cashew milk (to get it all going)
- Sauté celery, onion and carrots in olive oil for about 5 minutes in a large pot.
- Add red and green lentils, along with the crushed tomatoes, quinoa, corn, spices and 2 cups of vegetable stock to the pot.
- Stir in the spices and herbs (chili powder, paprika, black pepper, oregano).
- Add more vegetable stock as needed while the chili cooks on medium heat for one hour. Be sure to stir frequently and add vegetable stock often to avoid having the chili stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Prepare cashew cream in a single serve blender.
- Serve chili and garnish with cashew cream, vegan cheese, green onions and black pepper.
- Store leftover chili in an airtight container and refrigerate.