Sweet & Sour. Like take-out, but healthier. Quick & easy to make. Satisfying. Yup, this dish is all of those things and then some. It’s a quick and tasty meal that will give you leftovers which is always good for meal prepping (if that’s your thing) and just saving time all around. The sauce is similar in taste to the sweet & sour sauce that you may remember from take-out places, but it’s lighter and it’s nice to know exactly what’s in it. Add that with some crunchy veggies, golden tempeh and some jasmine rice….Mmm! Delicious. Thanks to the tempeh, you’ll get a hefty serving of protein too.
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari)
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 package (250 grams) tempeh (cut into strips, then cubed)
1 cup fresh or canned pineapple (use the juice too)
veggies of choice such as purple cabbage, carrots, peas, broccoli
1 red chili (chopped & seeded)
1 cup jasmine rice
Sriracha (for garnish)
- Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, ketchup, cornstarch, brown sugar, and 1 tbsp coconut oil into a large skillet. On low heat, us a whisk to mix the ingredients together and let it simmer to thicken. Set aside.
- In a frypan heat the other tbsp of coconut oil until it melts. Then add in the tempeh, pineapple chunks (plus the juice), peas, carrots, chili pepper and purple cabbage. Cook over low-medium heat for about 8 minutes or until tempeh is golden and veggies are cooked.
- Cook your jasmine rice according to package instructions (usually about 8-9 minutes).
- Add the sweet & sour sauce to the tempeh and veggie mix. Stir well and heat.
- Serve sweet & sour tempeh over a bed of jasmine rice. Garnish with Sriracha sauce if desired.