You know it’s summer time when you can get delicious fresh picked local berries for a steal of a price. Not to mention the other yummy local seasonal produce that summer offers but that’s another post.
After picking 5lbs of fresh local blueberries from Kusterman’s Berry Farms located just West of London (outside of Mount Brydges, ON) it was a no-brainer in terms of what to do with the goods. Epic blueberry muffins. Jam was also made, don’t worry.
I love vegan baking for it’s creativity. Vegan options are super delicious and better than the boring old traditional ingredients used in baking, am I right? 😉
Be hold the epic (vegan) loaded blueberry whole wheat muffins. I adapted a recipe from Pinterest that I pinned, and it was love at first sight. Once I saw these, I knew I had to make them. It just wasn’t up for debate. They are even a bit healthier with the use of the whole wheat pastry flour as opposed to all purpose flour. So don’t feel guilty if you eat a few more than you should have. They’re super delicious and won’t last for long. Try to share, because sharing is caring! 🙂
2 cups fresh blueberries (1 cup for jam, 1 cup for muffin mix)
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp himalayan pink sea salt
2 flax eggs **
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup vanilla almond “buttermilk” ***
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Lemon Zest Sugar (Topping)
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp finely grated zest from 1 lemon
** Flax Egg
1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
3 tbsp water
Method: Combine ground flaxseed meal with water. Stir, and let is sit for 2 minutes.
*** Vanilla Almond “Buttermilk”
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Method: Combine almond milk with ACV. Stir well and let it sit for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make the lemon zest sugar. Combine lemon zest and sugar into a small bowl and set aside for later.
- Make the blueberry jam. Bring 1 cup fresh blueberries and 1 tbsp sugar to a simmer in a small pot over medium heat. Cook, mashing berries with a masher or fork until berries have broken down and mixture has thickened. Stir frequently. When finished, remove form heat and set aside to cool.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, remaining sugar (1 1/4 cups) and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk flax eggs, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil in a bowl until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in almond “buttermilk” and vanilla until well combined. Mixture should be thick!
- Using a rubber spatula, add wet mixture into dry mixture and fold. Fold in remaining 1 cup of fresh blueberries into the combined mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 Celsius. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray and line with muffin liners.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin liner cups. The batter should completely fill the cups. Spoon a tsp of the blueberry jam onto the top of each muffin cup. Swirl in using a knife or metal straw in my case. Sprinkle lemon zest sugar evenly on top of each muffin cup.
- Bake until the muffins are golden and slightly crispy on the top. Roughly 30-35 minutes depending on your oven. Keep in mind you are using whole wheat flour, so they may need a few additional minutes. Test using a knife, and bake until the knife comes out clean. Once finished, allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes or so and then transfer to a wire rack and cool for another 5 minutes.
- Serve! Soooo good! 😉
Recipe adapted from Pinterest (credit: Crazy Vegan Kitchen)