Comfort food is always good on cold winter days, am I right? 😉
This soup is lightened up a bit with coconut milk to add that super creamy taste which compliments a tomato base so well. It makes a large batch too, so you will have leftovers (bonus!). Keep in mind, the soup will thicken as it sits in the fridge thanks to the pasta. Once you heat it up it will be more soup like, but still thicker the longer it sits in the fridge as you eat up all of the leftovers.
Note: to make this dish vegan, simply add your pasta of choice and sub the cheese with a vegan shredded cheese such as follow your heart mozzarella shreds.
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 dried basil (plus more for garnish)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cups marinara sauce (such as Victoria’s White Linen Marinara – sooo good!)
796 ml can of reduced sodium diced tomatoes (with sauce/juices)
5 cups vegetable stock
1 cup full fat coconut milk
2.5 cups three cheese tortellini (or pasta of choice if vegan)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (parmesan or romano if you’d like *not vegetarian however, or a vegan substitute such as follow your heart shreds if you are vegan) (plus more for garnish)
sea salt + cracked black pepper (to taste)
- Heat olive oil over low-medium heat and add in onions and garlic. Sauté for roughly 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Next, add in diced tomatoes (with sauce/juices), rosemary, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, vegetable stock, coconut milk, sea salt and cracked black pepper (to taste). Simmer on low for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the three cheese tortellini into the soup and cook for 15 minutes until fully cooked.
- Now add in the cheese, and stir.
- Serve and garnish with more basil, cheese and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to one week. (**Will thicken into more of a pasta as the days progress).