As a vegetarian I’m all about those side dishes. Ever go to someone’s house and can’t eat the main dish as it has meat? No problem. Load on up those delicious side dishes. I’m not even mad about that. Side dishes for the win!
Rice is an awesome alternative to always having potatoes on the side, as your starch. Even better if you can add some fruit and nuts into it too for extra flavour and nutrition. With that, I bring you this yummy, healthy and fresh ancient rice dish that I collaborated with Yupik for. I’ve purchased their nuts before at Costco, and actually always use their raw cashews for so many of my vegan dishes.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow cooking onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
8 cups good quality vegetable stock (I used Better Than Bouillon)
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups Yupik Golden Raisins
1 1/2 cups Organic California Walnuts (chopped & toasted)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped + more for garnish
2 tsp dried thyme
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large wok on medium heat. Add onions and garlic, stirring frequently until translucent (roughly 5-6 minutes).
- Add in vegetable stock and sea salt. Bring to a boil and then add in the rice. Stir well. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and rice is thoroughly cooked.
- Stir in the golden raisins, parsley, thyme and toasted walnuts. Stir and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- As an option, place rice into a large baking dish and bake for 20 minutes at 375° Fahrenheit.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and more golden raisins if desired.
- * Keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
*Great dish for meal prep or for a holiday meal as the portions serve a large amount of people served as a side dish.